Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Learning to Fly


Oak Tree - February 26, 2012


Today's NaBloPoMo prompt is "Would you rather have invisibility or the ability to fly?"

I don't even have to think about it. I'm all about flying.

Invisibility seems like a tool for skulking about, for going places you're not meant to go, seeing things you're not meant to see, hearing things that aren't for your ears. "You'd get to hear what people were saying about you!" What a nightmare. "You could go anywhere you wanted!" Like a ghost? Everything going on around me and I'm just an observer, can't be a part of it? Nobody can share it with me, because they don't know I'm there? I would be so lonely. I can't think of a single instance where I'd want to be invisible.

But I've always wanted to fly. I love airplanes, love looking out the window at the ground below. I try to figure out where I am by studying the geologic features. I'm always thrilled when I find something familiar. I don't even care where I land as long as I get to go up in the air, and I'm always a little sad when the wheels touch down.

I never have dreams where I'm flying, just dreams where I glide a few inches above the ground. I don't know if that means I'd be afraid of going higher, or if I'm simply content to skate along a foot above the sidewalk. I'm usually walking next to someone, having a pleasant conversation while moving my feet back and forth as if I were dangling them in a swimming pool. I always wake up happy from those dreams.

No comments: