Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's My Soul Up There


There’s a little black spot on the sun today...

What’s up, Mol?

It’s the same old thing as yesterdaaay…

You O.K., pup? You seem kind of blue, and you’re singing ‘King of Pain’.

Oh, hi! I thought we were being reflective and pensive, and I was trying to match the mood. And your pose. And your hair color. YAY!

Well, two out of three ain’t bad.

I have stood here before, inside the pouring rain...and I LOVED IT! Rain makes me feel like a real collie out in the field! Hey, you can be a shepherdess. It’ll be SUPER FUN! We'll herd Winston! Go change clothes so you don’t look like you’re going to a funeral. Quick!

I’m busy doing WTHAYW, and I’m in a foul mood, so that’s probably a no on the "sheep" herding. Besides, it’s the start of winter, and that always gets to me. I feel like crying all the time. Stupid lack of bright sun.

But it’s still there behind the clouds! It’s like an INVISIBLE sun!

What the Hell are you WEARING?

Sweater

Old Navy Shawl Collared Cable Sweater. This sweater cost a whopping $15, and it was worth every one of the fifteen-hundred pennies. And not a penny more. It sits on my arms funny, it’s drooped to become a tunic, and it wrinkles with normal wear. What kind of bulky, acryli-cotton sweater wrinkles like that? Reviewers on ON’s website said that they’d had to try on each individual sweater, because the fit of the garments varied so widely, even in the same sizes and colors. I have this same sweater in tan, and the fit is different enough to feel like a different style of sweater.

Trousers
Ann Taylor Loft from a couple of years ago. These are the offending trousers I talked about in this post. I thought that maybe covering most of them up with the sweater would give them new life, but it only made me feel even less charitable toward them

Shoes
Sudini round-toed boots, several years old. I wear these when I don’t feel like navigating the world in my Clarks, which have a higher heel. They’ve stretched to the point where I have to wear hiking socks with them.

Jewelry
None. No jewelry. Hours earlier, after ten years of reliable wear, the pin on my favorite pair of earrings – the sterling silver hoops with hinged clasps - snapped off in my hand.

The Verdict
This is my “I give up” outfit. I didn’t have the energy to do anything more, but had to put something on and go to work. Looking at it in the pictures, I think it shows. It’s not a horrible outfit, but there’s nothing positive about it, either. Nothing about it made me happy, except for the earrings, which picked this particular day to finally give in to metal fatigue.


Lessons Learned
1. Don’t wear a baggy, wrinkly sweater with baggy, wrinkly pants. It will not look comfy-chic. It will look as though I’m about to have a depressive episode.
2. The mood boost would have been worth spending a few minutes more on putting myself together in the morning.
3. Do not base my fragile sense of wellbeing on a ten year old pair of stainless steel earrings, because people walking by my desk will now be able to see me crying.
4. Color is my friend.

No comments: