Monday, December 04, 2006

Simple Gets Complicated

You asked for it. Here's a modeled picture of the ol' SKB. I guess I was in a mood when I took this. What have I concluded after a couple of days of wearing it? I should have made it a good bit smaller, and I shoudn't have added that many rows between the neck shaping and the waist detail. And it's way too big at the armpits.You might not be able to tell from this shot, but the bottom of the waist detail sits just at the upper edge of the waist of my jeans. It gets caught there, and super-exaggerates my least favorite part of me, which I euphemistically call my protective kidney padding. You may know it by its common name, the 'spare tire'. The weight of the beads drags that section down a little more with every wear. If I were to do it again, I would have had the lace up higher, and I would start the hip shaping sooner. Overall, it's getting a little too slouchy. I might take the body apart and redo it, or experiment with creating seams by mattress stitching the sides.

I still like it, though. Don't get me wrong. I love the sleeves and the neckline, two elements that I was trying to show in this picture. Either that, or I was rebelling against Accountant Boy's repeated commands to drop my chin and look at him, look to the side, and look over his shoulder. "Look where? Well look at THESE, Avedon."

I'm a few inches into the the next version, which will be knit with all of these findings in mind. More on that later.

No comments: