Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I know, I know...

So 'every other day' is turning into 'every five days'. I have a great excuse for at least yesterday, though. Last night, I saw a speck on my laptop screen. I tried to wipe it off with my finger, but it didn't move. My heart sank as I imagined that my screen was developing dead spots. I don't even know if that's a thing, screen dead spots. I started to wrap things up for the night, bummed out about my failing laptop. I looked at the spot again.

It moved.

"Ah, dude! Take a look at this!" I don't know when we started calling each other 'dude' as often as 'honey', but we each respond to both. "How the hell did that happen?"

"It looks like an ant."

"Yeah. Uh...what do I do about that?"

"This is going to sound crazy, but maybe we should put some sugar on the counter next to it. It'll smell the sugar and find its way out..."

"Good idea!"

"...as long as we don't make it worse. Hope we don't end up with a laptop full of ants."

Short story shorter, we didn't end up with more ants, and the spot is gone from my laptop screen. The gentler part of me hopes the ant made her way out and rejoined her colony. The more macabre part of me wonders how long it will take for an ant to decay completely inside my computer. If I opened it up a few months from now, would there be a tiny exoskeleton, would it just look like dust?

I'm maybe two inches away from finishing Simple Knitted Bodice. I don't know why I've been so reluctant to post any progress pictures of it. Every time I think to do it, I think, "I'll post when I have a few more inches done. I'll just knit a few more inches."

Today's going to be a good day. I have the week off, HBO's showing 'The Hunt for Red October' at least twice during the day, all the laundry is done, and I have leftover penne gorgonzola in the fridge. Winner!

--20 m inutes later--

Part of the reason I love 'Red October' is the cinematography. The colors are so lovely. My favorite part just played. There's a scene where Fred Thompson is talking to his XO, and he says, "Russians probably gonna find that sub 'fore we get near it, anyway," and he puts his thumb to his chin and looks off into the distance. His profile dissolves into an exterior of the submerged Red October, dark grey ship cutting through the dusky blue water, and I don't know why but I love that scene change.

Penne gorgonzola is as good for breakfast as it is for dinner.

--60 minutes later--

Cheesiest part of the movie, which is all decidedly cheesy anyway?

Mr. Thompson, XO of the USS Dallas: "C'mon Big D...flyyyyyyy!"

Aww, man, the movie's over. That's O.K., because it starts again on the HD channel in half an hour. Woohoo!

Buddy the Cat isn't in a settling mood today. He's chasing his toys around the kitchen, and attacking the rug at the back door. I only know because I can hear him. If I turn to look, he stops playing. His favorite toys are the faux-fur knot that he got from Civic Feline Clinic, and one of those little bottles with a sponge at the top for moistening envelopes. He loves that cheap little bottle.

I'm maybe four or five rows away from the bottom purl ridges on SKB.

This post is probably only interesting to me, but that's cool. I'm having a good lazy day, and I want to remember it, and my happy mood.

No comments: