Friday, March 21, 2008

(A) Good Friday

Interlacements RickRack II - nothing to do with anything, just pretty.

What a couple of weeks, huh? Yeah, so my boss got laid off, and my boss' boss became my boss. Thing is, my boss wasn't supposed to find out about being laid off until the end of this month, so now we're all thinking that there'll be more layoffs, but my boss' boss, now my boss, wouldn't confirm anything. And then my boss' boss, now my boss, got laid off on Tuesday. With me so far? Two bosses and their boss gone, still a possibility that more of us will be let go, but the likelihood is decreased because losing those three big salaries may have saved the lower people. For now.

In the middle of all of this, Accountant Boy's boss was laid off, and A.B. took over his job responsibilities, but not his salary and not his title.

Oh, and my mom's house is now haunted, apparently by my dad. Lights turn on and off in the bedroom where he died, the TV remote control disappears and is then found in the back of the pencil drawer and, most tellingly, the adding machine turns itself on and starts feeding paper through its printer. We think he's either angry that we didn't have a big party at the forty-day anniversary of his death, or confused and believing that he needs to finish some tax returns.

Am I getting any knitting done during this stressful time? Well, no. Although it would probably soothe me to do it, I can't pull my knitting out of the bag, because it drives Winston mad with longing. I don't know what this is going to mean for the future of Fluffy Angora Menace and my ability to wear it around him. All I know is that I can't work on it in the evenings. I'm trying to figure out how to slip out of the house for three hours and get it done.

Jodi asked about the Arosa pullover in the comments of this post. Man, that seems like such a long time ago. I 'temporarily' abandoned Arosa soon after that, intending to get back to it after I cooled off and stopped hating it. I haven't picked it up since then, but I have had some thoughts about how to finish it and actually like it.

Jodi, the thing about the front panel being kind of weird just worked itself out. It looks completely weird when you're working on it, but just follow the directions. It looks like the sweater's got kind of a wrap/crossover thing going, but that's a trick of the pattern photo. The second, weirdly shaped piece gets stitched right to the edge of the main piece. It makes sense when the pieces are laid next to each other. It also makes sense when you see how the fabric drapes if you're using the Arosa yarn. If you had two layers of fabric across the front, it'd look sloppy.

What am I going to do to mine to make it work? I'm going to take it apart and reknit the neck edges so that it's less droopy, maybe fewer stitches and a slightly smaller needle. And then, much as it pains me to do so, I'm going to knit the sleeves as they're supposed to be knit. The solid sleeve just wasn't working.

I'll get right on that, just as soon as I get my Last Winter...uh...First Day of Spring...umm...Easter sweater done.

3 comments:

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh my! what a stressful time. Surely this means something good is bound to happen, right?

Batty said...

I always wondered why it was called Good Friday... I hope things quiet down and you get to relax some.

Good luck with the sweater!

Karen said...

:) Just in case you didn't see it on my blog....You've won the vest. Email me your address.